Monday, February 11, 2008

Knitting is going on...

Despite no pictures, I am knitting. The hat that started as the "Easy Hat to Knit" is now the "Dreaded Beast". I completely frogged the whole thing but have started over and have about 4 rows. I afraid that the color is changing from cream to a tan from all the handling, scrunching, ripping, etc., BUT, I am determined it get it done..no matter what color it is when I'm finished :)

AND, I'm starting a sock...I've read 2 books and watched a DVD (The Art of Knitting and Crochet by Vogue). I am a visual learner and it really helped to see how a sock is constructed from beginning to end. The process isn't as scary as I thought, despite working with 4 tiny needles. From watching the DVD (which has knitting demos of various stitches), I discovered that I am actually doing things correctly...YAYYY. Nancie Wiseman demonstrates one of her basic sock patterns. The pattern was a little confusing (to me) if you cast on more stitches than for the size she was showing. So, I found her web site, sent her an email, asked my question, and had my answer within 10 mins. How nice - Thanks Ms. Wiseman!!!! Now I can get started. One funny thing tho, I was practicing, had cast on the stitches and was doing the K1P1 for the ribbing. I was thinking that this wasn't so bad with such tiny needles that just dangled when not being used. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd row (I wasn't really paying attention), when suddenly, I realized that I had the little triangle thingy going on..no more dangling ... I was SO thrilled. Then on the next row, I was knitting happily along, admiring my little triangle....and half the stitches fell off of one of the needles...Dang!! But I was just practicing so I'll know to be more careful when I cast on the real sock. Did I say how excited I was? Another thing about the DVD, it had a brief section on frogging and had a good tip on how to do it...maybe next time I won't have to rip the whole project!!!!

Hey Court - next time you come visit, you'll have to watch it. Shows you how to cable and stuff :0)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn it's court! I'm sooo proud of you for casting on for a SOCK! yay! Take pictures for me! I definitely wanna see this video...if it can make sock-making simple then I am alll for it :-) xooxo

Anonymous said...

Oh ANnnnnd I have an etsy account now! Check it out :-) http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5647100
I'm only selling one thing right now..but there should be more stuff up later

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.